Since there were so many incredible local releases this year, it would’ve been negligent to not have a solely local Best Songs of 2008 list. I expanded the idea of ‘local’ to go beyond Seattle and include our musical neighbors to the south, Portland. Hope you enjoy my first Best of list of 2008, more lists coming soon!
1. The Moondoggies - Changin’
2. Wild Orchid Children – Birth of a Cabin
3. The Dutchess and The Duke – Resevoir Park
4. Kay Kay and His Weathered Undergound – Night of The Star Child’s Funk
5. The Whore Moans – Nerve Tonic!
6. J. Tillman – Steel on Steel
7. The Fleet Foxes- Mykonos
8. Sera Cahoone – Only As The Day Is Long
9. See Me River – Don’t Pray For Blood
10. The Hands – Praying Hands Make Fist (Or Be Chopped Off)
11. Blue Scholars – Butter & Guns
12. Bark Hide and Horn – Trumpeter Swan
13. Thee Emergency – Hopped Up For The Git Down
14. The Builders & The Butchers – Bringin’ Home The Rain
15. A Gun That Shoots Knives – Stay in School
16. Shy In Sunshine – Recognition
17. We Wrote The Book on Connectors – Mimosas
18. Starfucker – Pop Song
19. The New Faces – Impulse
20. Hey Marseilles – Rio
(p.s.) According to my Itunes, my most listened to local track of 2008 is Kay Kay’s: Night of The Star Child’s Funk.