Best Northwest Shows 2006
Since I don’t have my act together yet on the Protest Songs of 2006 yet, here are Abbey and my lists for Northwest shows of the year. Unsuprisingly we share a few of the same this year. Checkout the “No Children” video from the concert we went to for a crowd sing-along.
1.Elvis Perkins – The Tractor Tavern – November 16, 2006 (With Pernice Brothers) Watch : While You Were Sleeping (Live) (YouTube)
2. The Mountain Goats – Neumos – June 9, 2006 (With Barbara Morgenstern and Kimya Dawson)Watch: No Children – June 9, 2006 (YouTube)
3. Ghostland Observatory – The Crocodile Cafe – October 19, 2006 (Early Show with the Coconut Coolouts)
4. Dr. Dog, Elvis Perkins, and The Cold War Kids – The Crocodile Cafe – September 12, 2006
5. (tie) Cursive, The Thermals – Neumos – October 20, 2006 (With Chin Up Chin Up) and The Figurines, Speaker Speaker – The Crocodile Cafe – Halloween 2006
Damn! You Just Barely Missed The List: Thee Emergency, Devotchka, Ghostland Observatory, and The Long Winters – KEXP BBQ at a random field in “South Lake Union”
The National – Neumos – October 6, 2006
And if I wasn’t so Drunk… I bet You Would’ve Made My List: Built To Spill- Showbox – You opened with a searing version of “Car”… and that’s about all I remember.
Josh’s List (I am limiting my list items to a single act, not an entire bill.)
1. The Constantines – Sasquatch 2006 At the Sasquatch Festival at the Gorge in May, the Constantines put on the show of their life. Play a song here. Band your head there. Suddenly solid, paintball size hail began to fall. Fans who had formerly been lounging on grassy knoll in just barely 60 degree weather were scattered, to take cover in the beer garden if you were of age, or to dive under a picnic table if you weren’t, at least to wait out the maelstrom for a few minutes. Unfortunately the hail didn’t stop. 10 minutes passed and the Neko Case show at the mainstage never started. The band didn’t flag for a second, hanging from the rafters of the stage and playing just as fast as normal, turning what could have otherwise been wet towel into the most memorable concert moment of the year. After attempting to pack our selves into the already sopping and overcrowded covered beer garded we decided to go with the flow and join the insane superfan mob in front of the stage. By this time the downright painful hail had driven all but a few brave souls under cover. Those remaining few were dancing hard, among large elecrified cables, surrounded by inches of hail (turning to slush) building up on the grass. After twenty minutes the band decided to call it, but not before making a number of new fans in the form of some festival fans. We were drenched and shivering and glad we weren’t electrocuted, but we didn’t care because this show was instantly historic in our minds. Watch: Constantines at Sasquatch in a Hail Storm (YouTube)
2. Elvis Perkins – The Tractor Tavern – November 16, 2006 (With Pernice Brothers)
3. Cold War Kids – The Crocodile Cafe – September 12, 2006 (With Elvis Perkins and Dr. Dog)
4. The Mountain Goats – Neumos – June 9, 2006 (With Barbara Morgenstern and Kimya Dawson)
5. Death Cab For Cutie – Key Arena – December 9, 2006 (With Jenny Lewis & the Watson Twins and Ted Leo & The Pharmacists)